Friday, October 19, 2012

ALLmost There

We have been in Seattle for over two weeks now and are starting to get used to the Seattle mist (fall has finally arrived here).  We have found out that true Seattleites never carry umbrellas so we scrapped them in an attempt to fit in.  We rented a car and explored the area much more which has been lots of fun and made for good adventures.  Between exploring waterfalls, finding new restaurants, and obsessively watching Game of Thrones and the Tudors, I had many tests, exams, and appointments in preparation for the transplant.  Everything has been going well and I have been meeting all the necessary requirements (despite all the havoc that chemo and a few college parties has wreaked on my liver, it's still in great shape!) .  The only surprise was a pretty horrible and extremely itchy rash from a drug allergy.  It covered my arms, chest and back but we figured out the culprit and it is all disappearing nicely.  This afternoon Hanna and I will meet with the doctors and nurses one last time to go over all of the tests from the last few weeks and officially consent to the long awaited transplant. 

Next week I will have three days of outpatient total body radiation and then two days of inpatient high dose chemo, followed by a day of rest and then the first day of the rest of my life, a new immune system, and the beginning of a cure.  I have known this day to be necessary ever since my relapse in March and have been hoping for it ever since.  I am fearful but mostly hopeful and joyous.  The selfless donation of a 21 year old girl somewhere is giving me the opportunity to restart my body and continue my life.  I don't say "restart" my life because it has definitely never stopped.  Hanna and I have been living and loving life through every step of this most recent bout.  We have been sad, cried, and, at times, danced for joy (literally), but life didn't stop.  I continue to be inspired by the love, dedication, and spirit of Hanna, our families, friends and the many that have gone from strangers to partners in this fight.  We will remember this time forever and I have no doubt it will impact the way we live every single day.

So, the countdown is on and we are so ready to dive in and come out on the other end with a cure.  The next few months are going to be very challenging but we know that every day will be one step closer to coming home and one step closer to our cure and getting back to normal.   The thoughts, prayers, and well wishes from everyone truly help us through the tough days and give us strength when we need it.  As of this evening, the transplant will be officially to our ears.  We are going into this last round swinging, with renewed energy and uplifted spirit!

Much love, thanks for journeying with us.  I know that....

ALL Will Be Well

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us"


  1. Love you both. St. Peregrine is really working, although he probably at this point says, not Helen again! Godspeed and we look forward to seeing you again in the Burg. Oh and 1227 is available for crashing purposes. Just get better and get home.

  2. I did the exact same thing when I moved to Seattle - ditched the umbrella. I realized I was the only one walking around with one!!! Get a good coat with a hood! Miss you both! Dawn