Thursday, February 25, 2010

A New Man

It has now been a few weeks since I have had any chemo or any treatments at all. It is amazing how much more "normal" I feel. Just in these few weeks, my body has begun to recover. I have gained a little bit of weight, a little bit of strength, and alot of energy. I am walking more, eating more, and feeling way more like the Dan of about a year ago. I had truly forgotten what it was like to feel this way. I've been a little bit on top of the world the last few weeks. I think that might also have a little something to do with the fact that I soon get to be husband to the girl of my dreams.

Last week I had a bone marrow biopsy that will tell if the Leukemia is still in remission. This was a pretty rough biopsy because they had trouble shaving off a piece of the marrow and the doctor had to drill into my hip bone 3 different times until she was able to get the sample. This left me quite sore for the next couple of days.......there is something about taking a screwdriver to my hip bone (at least that's what I imagine is happening) that just doesn't sit that well with me. Anyway, I have a meeting with my oncologist, Dr. Claxton, today to discuss the results of the biopsy. So I have been nervous this week and letting my mind wander with the possibilities. So I will be happy to get in there today and get some good news. If my marrow is still leukemia-free (this is where the prayers come in), I will be cleared to start the 5th and final course of treatment. This is the long-term, maintenance treatment that is scheduled to last for the next 3 years (a little overwhelming when you think about it). But, this treatment is going to be way, way less intense and the doctors said I should be able to get back to a normal life during it. I will only be getting chemo injections once a month and most of the side effects should be pretty muted. My hair should also start to grow back.....I will be looking like Shaun White before you know it.

So, say some prayers that today's meeting brings nothing but good news. I just can't wait to get back to my old self and dive back into life. That does not mean I will be the same exact person. I have learned so much about faith, family, friendship, priorities, and perseverance through this journey. I will never forget any part of it and I hope to use these lessons to make myself better, help others, and live a more full life.

Well, I guess I had better get back to watching curling. This has been me and evan's favorite pasttime during the olympics. This sport has grown on me every day, plus how cool is an olympic sport where you could very easily be drinking a beer while playing. I'm gonna start prepapring for my bid for the 2014 games.....wish me luck.

I will let everybody know the results from my meeting today. Thanks for the prayers and thanks for being there. I can only imagine where I would be without the love and support of so many people. I couldn't have made it through the last 8 months. Much love and

ALL Will Be Well (hopefully pretty soon!)

“You can only come to the morning through the shadows.”

"Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it. "

1 comment:

  1. Yay Dan! I wanted to be the first to comment and say you have Rafi's (and my) prayers today. We love you, buddy.

    ReplyDelete